Another open secret is that ultimately it‘s your dog choosing what he likes the most. The real challenge for you as dog owner is to find the right balance between healthy food and the liking of it by your dog. I have some tips for you how to find out which food might be the best for your dog and offer the Top 3 adult dry dog food available.
Even when generally stated wet dog food is the better choice when you want to decide between wet and dry dog food, even then, there are some advantages about dry dog food that might make you choose dry over wet. Usually vets recommend anyway to offer your dog both, wet and dry dog food, for different situations and times of day.
The most obvious advantage of dry dog food is its resistance to being contaminated as fast as wet food if left out for too long.
Also I like to mention the fact that there is not something like the best dog food ever. All dog food brands are formulated in a way that the food meets the minimum nutritional requirements for dogs. But every dog has additional nutritional needs to which we need to pay attention to.
Why do dogs differ so much in their needs for nutrition? The main reason is the age of your dog. A puppy has different needs than an adult dog. And there are differences between the dog sizes in their needs for healthy food.
Luckily most of the top dog food brands offer special food for special ages and special sizes. Like this you can easily find out which food you can give a try. You make the first step by choosing the appropriate healthy food and then, well then your dog will decide if he likes it or not.
So many dogs are finicky eaters. Most often the reason for that is the choice of wrong food. And it‘s not just about wet or dry food. Even among dry food you can find different flavors, different bite sizes that might meet your dogs taste preferences.
To be more detailed I have here some information for you about the usual ingredients of dry dog food and what their purpose is.
- For strong muscles dry dog food contains proteins that is most often sourced from chicken, beef, turkey and egg. These ingredients are being liked by most dogs.
- For healthy digestion dry dog food contains most often beet pulp as fiber ingredient which helps the dog‘s body to absorb nutrients more easily and effectively which in turn prevents obesity.
- For good energy dry dog food contains a mix of protein and carb.
- For healthy coat and skin dry dog food contains fatty acids. Yes, fat is an important ingredient of dog food and derives most often from chicken or pork fat but also from fish oil or vegetable oil and others.
- For your dog‘s overall health a good dry dog food contains of course all essential vitamins and minerals. Vitamins are to be found in fruit and vegetable ingredients while minerals are added as they are, such as calcium, magnesium and others. I don‘t need to tell you that vitamins are important for your dog‘s immune system and minerals for the healthy functioning of all organs.
When you choose a dry dog food please always remember to present your dog fresh water at will, meaning you offer a water source such as a water fountain or water bottle that provides fresh water throughout the day.
The following adult dry dog food products come in differently sized bags and are suitable for differently aged and sized dogs.
Royal Canin Adult dry dog food
- Contains ideal levels of EPA and DHA for a healthy coat and skin
- Palatable formula satisfies the fussy appetites of very small dogs
- Highly digestible proteins and various fibers
- Comes in extra small kibble
- Ideal for extra-small dog breed (up to 8 lbs), from 10 months to 8 years old
- Bag: 2.5 lbs.
This product is pretty much as described in the title. I have a Bolognese-Poodle mix, and he seems to love it. He hasn’t had any negative reaction to it at all and seems to be quite healthy.
Our Pom Mica had a hard time using the bathroom and her vet recommended switching to this brand and Mica LOVES it. With this food, she goes jumping up and down like she is getting a cookie!! Now we just have to monitor her eating so she does not over eat since she is hooked to this food.
My dog loves this. Other food would sit for days sometimes. This food, he eats in the morning and in the evening without coaxing and the ingredients are fantastic. Plus, the nibbles are small enough for my 10lb Chihuahua.
Hill’s Science Small Breed Dry Dog Food
- Recommended for small adult dogs (1-6 years old) weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Nor recommended for puppies or dogs older than 6 years
- Precisely balanced easy-to-digest nutrition
- Natural ingredients plus vitamins, minerals and amino acids
- No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Bag: 4.5 lbs.
To my absolute delight, my Yorkie Molly loves this food! I can’t believe it. I gave her a little handful like it was a treat at first and she gobbled it up. Then I poured a small bowl of the food and, without anything else to lure her into eating, she ate a considerable amount. She has been eating this food for a while and really likes it. She is energetic and her coat and eyes shine.
This is the only food I feed my dogs. This dog food keeps their tummy in good condition so that their stool is very well formed. My dog always maintains a good weight and his coat is nice and soft and shiny, all due to the food.
My dog loves this food and had no problems switching from what the breeder gave her to this, she gets so excited when its time to eat.
Iams Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food
- 100% complete balanced nutrition for adult dogs older than 1 year
- Made with quality proteins from chicken and egg
- Enriched with antioxidants for healthy immune system
- Bag: 7 lbs.
We feed our dogs this food and then they act like dogs all day long. They are healthy, good-looking, and energetic so our conclusion is that this product really works.
My golden retriever is still in great shape after 14 years because of this dog food; 1 cup twice a day. He looks and acts half his age. My next dog will eat nothing but Iams… well, maybe the occasional banana or carrot too.
This is the first time I switched my dog’s food and my dog didn’t get sick. She loves this food as is. It’s the only thing I will feed her now. I have a pitbull.