You have several possibilities to offer fresh water to your pet on a daily basis. For small pets you might get one of those practical water feeders that you install on the side of a cage or wall.
Well, for cats and dogs though you probably need something bigger and more convenient. A pet fountain is the way to go.
The moving water in the pet fountains encourages your dog and cat to drink more often. The free falling stream also adds oxygen for freshness which makes the water more appealing to drink. It is important for your pets to drink enough water. Proper hydration promotes healthy kidney function, cushions and lubricates joints, speeds recovery time for sick or injured pets and helps your pet’s body with temperature regulation.
Do you know the signs of a dehydrated pet? It’s quite easy so check the state of hydration at your pet. Just grab gently a loose fold of skin – the best place is between the shoulder blades – and release. Is the skin snapping back into place, your pet is hydrated. Is the skin only returning slowly, your pet could be dehydrated. Offer your dog or cat immediately plenty of unlimited water such as through a pet fountain best with an built-in reservoir. If the dehydrated situation remains longer, you need to check your dog or cat by a vet.
The average amount of needed water is one ounce of water per pound of your pet’s body weight. Per day of course. It might be difficult to see how much your dog or cat is drinking. If you offer a clean and fresh place for drinking your pets will instinctively go and drink as much as they need.
If you get a new pet fountain you might find out that your cat or dog doesn’t seem to like it. Here are some ideas of how to get your pet used to your new pet fountain:
- First, never place the pet fountain near the food bowl. There are several reasons of why to do that. Aromas coming from the food bowl or bacteria from decaying food contaminating the water source. If you have the food bowl in the kitchen, place the pet fountain in another room. And self-evidently do not place the pet fountain close to the litter box.
- Second, some pets might be suspicious about the water stream. In this case try first to just leave the pet fountain unplugged for some days. When you plug it in for the first time, just set it on the lowest pump level. Most of the dogs and cats are curious enough about this new toy and check it out sooner or later.
Find here my top 4 list of the currently best pet fountains available.
Drinkwell Pet Fountain
- Patented, free-falling stream aerates water with healthful oxygen
- Activated-carbon filter removes bad tastes and odors
- Constant circulation inhibits bacteria growth in between cleanings
- Pre-filter, submersible pump, snap-on lid
- Activated carbon replacement filters are made of coconut shells
- Built-in reservoir, rubber feet on bottom
- Low-voltage, 12V system with inline-plug connection
- Dishwasher safe (excluding pump) for easy cleaning
What I like about this fountain is that the filter lasts 3 months. It also has a large reservoir. As a result, I only have to fill the tank about 2-3 times a week for my 4 cats.
Other than cleaning, our fountain has required no maintenance. We change the filter one or twice per month, as needed. After cleaning, we fill the base with water AND fill the reservoir. It is enough water to last well over that week.
Very durable! I have had for well over 2 years now and it still works like it did the day I bought it. My animals love it.
- Includes a water softening filter
- Large water-to-air surface
- Re-circulating system cools and aerates water
- Advanced filtration purifies water
This fountain is 5 parts. Bowl, pump, main inner housing, filter and fountain head. This is a great fountain, that my cats love to drink from.
The fountain works great and doesn’t make any noise.
This is simply the best fountain – hands down. My cats adore this. The water is a constant, circular stream that is extremely quiet and it keeps the water ice cold. The best part is that it is VERY easy to clean which makes me love it even more.
Cat Mate Pet Fountain
- Multi-height drinking levels with plenty of water movement
- Dishwasher-proof bowls
- Polymer-carbon filter cartridge for added water purification
- Low voltage power supply
- Cord: 10 ft. long
Being plastic it’s easy to clean and by the motor also. No lime build up.
This fountain has two pieces plus the motor, it’s a breeze to clean and reassemble. It’s quiet and my cats love it. It holds a large amount of water and it is easy to dump and refill.
Original Pet Fountain
- Durable plastic body with deep, splash-proof dish
- Replaceable charcoal filter
- Adjustable flow control
- Non-slip feet
- 50 oz. holding capacity
- Patented free-falling stream
Good product, sturdy and does not breakdown. Generally well made, figure it will last another 10 years.
We are very happy with the product and when it gets noisy just add more water and it quiets right down. Both the dog and cats love it!
With a Shih Tzu and Plott Hound at home, they both got used to this very quickly. They do drink more and often which is good for their health.
* Prices are good at the time the article was written, but subject to change without notice.